Search this site:


January 5, 2005 12:01 AM

Broken: Hairdryer sign

HairdryerAlex B writes:

This is one of those built-in hair dryers that was in the bathroom of our hotel room. The tag says "unplug it", but since it's built in you can't, and chances are the hotel wouldn't be pleased if you tried.


Just out of curiosity, is the cord long enough to drop it into the lavatory, toilet or tub? If so, what safety mechanism is built in to prevent serious shock?

Posted by: Jay at January 5, 2005 08:53 AM

The usual mechanism to prevent shock hazard and electrocution in bathrooms is to have the circuits on a ground fault interrupter.

But with the whole thing just wired in directly, we can't tell visually. GFI electrical outlets have test and reset buttons to allow the breaker to be tested and then reset.

Posted by: Carlos Gomez at January 5, 2005 10:13 AM

See those red and yellow buttons on the front, those are the same thing as the reset and test switches on normal GFI outlets. They have them built in since you can't get to the switch. However, the only way to know that is to press them, since they aren't labeled.

Posted by: Aaron at January 5, 2005 02:39 PM

Well the colored buttons are probably the on and off forthe hairdryer...

Posted by: Tyler Mills at January 5, 2005 03:04 PM

The coloured buttons are for the GFCI circuit. You can just make out the standard high/off/low switch on the handle of the dryer.

Posted by: scott at January 5, 2005 04:01 PM

The tag says "unplug it", yet it's hardwired, so you CAN'T unplug it. THERE IS NO PLUG!!! For #$#~ sake, take it as it is. It's broken. A standard warning on a non-standard appliance. The same warning I have seen for my 30 years of life using a home appliance...

Posted by: idiots... at February 5, 2005 10:55 PM

Comments on this entry are closed

Previous Posts: