Search this site:

August 27, 2004 12:01 AM

Broken: (Just for fun) Cableway sign

image001-hooterOne more from Terry Jones... he found this sign at the aerial cableway to Table Mountain in Capetown, South Africa.

Terry writes: "I've always wanted to hear a hooter."

I realise this was just for fun, so I won't be like others and ask why it's here. But what I don't understand is why "hear a hooter" is so funny... the sign doesn' seem to be funny to me when I read it.

Or am I just being dumb and missing something?

Posted by: Ciaran at August 27, 2004 08:33 AM

It reminds me of my favorite line from the movie "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang":

"'You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious" -- Caractacus Potts

Posted by: Rob at August 27, 2004 11:07 AM

I bet when they saw 'Hooter', they were thinking of the restaurant... Which is why this is just for fun.

Posted by: Jim King at August 27, 2004 01:11 PM

"hooters" is slang for "breasts"

Posted by: Jacques Troux at August 27, 2004 01:12 PM

... in places that aren't South Africa.

It's bad enough that half the stuff here isn't anything vaguely resembling Broken, but if I want to laugh at silly foreigners not speaking English like Americans do and signs that might look like they're talking about breasts, I'll go over to's Daily Boners.

Posted by: mendel at August 27, 2004 01:27 PM

Well said Mendel!

Posted by: Nathan Hughes at August 27, 2004 04:48 PM

Oh my word! A website run by an American, in English, has generally English-language American-centric content! What a shock!

Posted by: Astounded at August 28, 2004 11:23 PM

Actually, I live in the UK. Not South Africa. I speak English as my native language.

But thanks for playing.

Posted by: Ciaran at August 30, 2004 10:53 AM

Uh, yeah. If you were paying attention, Ciaran, Astounded never said YOU live in the US. And Mendel, who's laughing at silly foreigners? This is a post about how differences in language can sometimes be amusing. LIGHTEN UP.

Posted by: at August 30, 2004 01:07 PM

He is right about how stupid most of these posts are, though, whether or not you agree with his opinion on making fun of foreigners.

Posted by: SpamMeNot at August 30, 2004 06:45 PM

What I don't get is why you would want to go to the "top station" if high winds were approaching

Posted by: jimmy2x at September 20, 2004 06:53 PM

Ignoring the arguments over which country is in posession of a more accurate version of English, I'm wondering if one can place their ear against the hooter to better hear it...

Posted by: danielsan at September 21, 2004 07:45 PM

PEOPLE!!! World peace supporter over here!!! STOP ARGUEING OVER STUPID STUFF!!!!

Posted by: Carly at January 16, 2005 07:55 PM

Posted by: renae at March 26, 2005 09:22 PM

Comments on this entry are closed

Previous Posts: